20151102

Ruby Run 3


Ruby Route Three

Having run so far a couple of days back I figured this final run should be more moderate. But how could I visit Willand and not run along the Culm water meadows? So I did, but not all the way to Culmstock this time. I set out shortly after 6 a.m. again so it was dark. This time my total distance was a mere 9.82 miles, average speed 5.15 mph (5.76 moving), maximum elevation 138m, minimum 68m. Not sure I trust those elevation stats though.


Conjunction along the Uffculme Straight

The Jupiter-Venus-Mars conjunction was best on 26th October (the date of my previous run) but it was too cloudy then. This time (the 28th) I got at least a glimpse though could not make out the dimmer Mars. A smart-phone camera is not the best instrument for astronomic photos but I least I tried and the two brighter planets are at least visible.



Dawn at Coldharbour

Coldharbour Mill in street-lamp glow

Moon over the river Culm

Morning glory - Venus is just visible

The blessèd Culm water meadows shrouded in mist

Amazingly I met a person out walking their dog along the river in the dark. We passed as ships in the night (it was virtually). It was a wet and a tad cold under foot and this clinched my decision to leave the river side at Five Fords and make a circuitous route back home.

Mist on the way back

Tiverton Parkway railway station

And back along the cycle-way that joins the station to Willand. There used to be a train station at Willand but they moved it a couple of miles north to its present location - one wonders at the logic of this.

Crossing the M5

We travelled home later the same morning. If I get back to Willand again what more can I explore? Whilst researching the Blackdown Hills as background to these posts I happened upon the following:


Culmstock Beacon

This is a "Stone structure built in 1588 to support a wooden pole and fire basket(s). Fire(s) would be lit as a signal that the Spanish Armada had been sighted. Of the chain of beacon sites across Southern England, this is the only remaining stone structure. Sounds interesting enough to make the effort. Since my previous run to Culmstock was 11.5 miles round trip I guess including the tower would take it up to about 15 miles and some serious up-hill but I know now this is possible.

Showing the beacon in relation to Culmstock

No comments:

Post a Comment