20150804

Locomotion

Locomotion: noun - movement or the ability to move from one place to another.

When young, my bed was a ship on which I lived and went places. Now, when driving and on my own, I can figure I could live and travel in this car, it would be my castle. My bicycle is an extension of myself, my locomotion - self contained, self propelled, self sufficient. I have the same feeling, only more strongly, when running barefoot. That I can run and run for miles, just me without aid, is a great feeling.

The occasion was Ali's mum's 90th birthday party so I was based in Willand again, and afterwards in Torquay for a couple of days. During which I did three tracked runs.

150724 Culm valley run
The first route was my prophesied run to Culmstock. It rained steadily the whole time and, although I love running in rain, I was not able to appreciate the river valley as much as I had hoped. The run was about 11.5 miles and my average speed, according to my GPS, was 6.05 mph.


150726 Cullompton run
The second route followed the river south through Cullompton. Once again it rained steadily the whole time. I had been asked to buy milk "on my way back" and, on entering the shop totally drenched, the cashier remarked that she had not realised it was that wet!  Total distance 10.8 miles, average speed 5.78 mph.


150728 Torquay run

The last route started from the Travel Lodge in Torquay. I found a beautiful valley near Cockington.





I found myself running across the front lawn of Cockington Court and was not sure whether I was trespassing. Part of the estate took me under this bridge.



At the furthest point I looked back to Torquay, and forward to Paignton.


You can see from the track that I made it down to the sea - this beach was secluded enough for a quick swim naked (it was early morning). And then back along the coast road to the hotel. Total distance 7.7 miles, average speed just 4.37 mph this low figure being due to getting momentarily "lost" in some undergrowth which got progressively denser and more brambly until I was forced to retrace my (barefoot) steps. There is a limit to the amount of brambles that one can entertain when barefoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment