20170716

Switzerland run #2

I suppose my second run must have the same day as my first. The idea was to suss out those hilly bits north of the city, but it was hot and I was tired so I aborted in favour of exploring the river Limmat. As a result I discovered the Letten River Pool, clearly a favourite swimming place. It is in fact a mill race and on passing through the, I suppose disused, mill it empties back into the Limmat.

Letten pool mill

Weir at head end of the Letten pool, river Sihl on right

The Limmat proper passes over a weir at the head end of the Letten pool, with the confluence of the Sihl river just below the weir.  Possibly most of the Limmat flow goes along the mill race.  It is, in any event, about 25m wide, over 400m long, probably 5m deep, and with a constant current that I later found almost impossible to swim against. In short a swimmer's paradise. Apart from all the other people there! Click on these photos to see them full resolution.

Kornhausbrücke bridge - Caught in the act! (not me)

Letten pool deck

Letten pool from south end (weir on left)

On reporting back Kate decided a swim was better than study so off we went together to experience the Letten pool for ourselves. Here's Kate starting upstream and letting the current do most of the work. I did it too but could not very well photograph myself, and in any case funked it - I panicked a bit (I don't like being out of my depth) but managed to complete the course but refused to go in again.

Start

Almost home!




No comments:

Post a Comment