20150419

Around Rural Willand 4




The last time I was staying in Willand I was running via Uffculme and noticed the walk along the river, so this visit I determined to investigate.

There are several satisfactory barefoot-running corridors from Willand: the road to Halberton,  the road across the Culm to Bradfield, the "Uffculme Straight" (B3440) and the cycle-way to Tiverton Parkway station. Whereas the road to Waterloo Cross and the M5 is too busy for comfort and the main road the Cullompton is stony and almost as bad.

So this time I took the cycle-way (I saw not a single cyclist) which terminates at the station foot-bridge.

Tiverton Parkway railway station

The footbridge

The footpath to Appledore

Looking back from same

The footpath from Waterloo Cross to Appledore goes across fields - smooth going to start with but becoming rather stony under-foot and not at all clear exactly where the path is meant to go. The footpath from Appledore to Uffculme is a stony track and thus harder going.

The footpath from Appledore to Uffculme

River Culm at Uffculme

Once in Uffculme I dropped down to the river and followed the much-sought-after river path. The right-of-way follows the river through grassy meadows and one meets owners taking their dogs or families with children. I imagine it an ideal place for a picnic in warmer weather.

At this point the sun breaks through the clouds and I am grateful for its warmth. The ground is heavenly under barefoot, and the outlook euphoric.


Weir

Looking back at the weir

This weir is a complex affair with sluice-gate and crosses the river at an angle. I suppose it directs water to nearby Coldharbour Mill. I wanted to pick my way across the weir but there were onlookers and I am afraid of what they might think of a 60 year old playing child.


Dogs and their humans

By now the morning clouds have fully lifted and my euphoria is heightened - I want to go on and on running beside this river forever. Sadly the footpath ends at the next road-bridge where I turn right through ColdHarbour and back along the "Uffculme Straight".

Another weir, this time no mill-race
Total distance 8.88 miles, average speed 5.06 m.p.h.

No comments:

Post a Comment