20150130

Is fantasy wrong?


Maria

Imagination is the stuff of wonder and wonder is what makes things wonderful. But will too much fantasy detract from normal life in "reality"? Like my father once told me, infatuated with a picture in The Sound of Music, that I couldn't fall in love with Julie Andrews. Like, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. But "true" in the Bible does not equate with "physically material". Indeed the suggestion is that material things are almost the antithesis of truth. When he asked "what is truth?" I think Pilate had an inkling that where he was living at the time was not it.

I have met some who called themselves "Christian" who thought that fantasy is plain wrong. They removed books that verged on the imaginary from their children's shelves. Including Narnia. Rebellious as always I thought the very opposite. Didn't Jesus himself speak in parables?

No comments:

Post a Comment