20130124

Levitation


Descent from Moanbane



The title is eye catching even if it has sinister connotations. I am referring to dreams I have in which I am either able, by self effort, to gradually ascend off the ground and fly, or in which I am able by jumping to cover amazing distances or depths before I land in full control. To gain height I always have to "push" really hard mentally. Sometimes I can achieve amazing heights where the ground below becomes indistinct and I begin to fear for loosing my bearings or suffering hypothermia. More often I cannot get as high as I would like, and gradually the ability reduces until I am grounded for good. Most recently I was flying over a city and I wanted to get over the buildings but, try as I might, I could not quite make it. In spite of this disappointment the feeling I get is always so good, so liberating. I can sometimes see ordinary mortals on the ground and wonder what they must be thinking but generally they do not even seem to be aware of me.

According to Freud's 1953 classic, "The interpretation of dreams", dreams of flying through the air reveal subconscious thoughts of sexual desire, while dreams of failing to fly (i.e. falling) through the air reveals thoughts of...well ... eh... also sexual desire...  (quoted from here).

This evening I was discussing this with my son-in-law who confessed to having very similar dreams. He wonders if it points to an inherent ability we might have in real life which is, as yet, untapped. I, however, have tried several times to do it in real life without even a glimmer of success. Having said that I can relate the following experiences.

On a business trip I over-nighted in a motel in S Wales from which I visited Ogmore on Sea. I went for a run (before my barefoot days) along the coast to Dunraven Bay and back. The route is mostly on the cliff-top over well-cropped grass - on taking jumps down one steep grassy descent I experienced a feeling like flying - doubtless helped along by runner's high.

The descent I take from Moanbane is through a forestry area with an intense green velvet carpet of moss underfoot and shafts of bright sun slanting through branches overhead. There are places where you jump down from one mound to another, delicious feeling between the toes. Again a very similar feeling to my aerodynamic dream jumping, albeit on a smaller scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment