20120617

In a Far Country

It is father's day and I got a surprise phone call from my younger daughter who has just moved to Australia. Two of my own sons and the son of a close friend now live in Alaska.  My other daughter is en route to Switzerland but thankfully only for a week.  Fifty years ago emmigration might have been goodbye for good - at least we have the internet now - but, even so, I reckon that either Alaska or Australia qualify as "a far country".

I have a much cherished book entitled "Forty Tales" by Stephen Southwold.  It was my mother's and she has written her name very formally, as if she was young at the time, inside the front cover.  This book is one of the few links I now have with her and with my childhood.  One of my favourite tales from this book starts:


The water colouring is my older sister's work.  To this day I am haunted by any grassy hill that disappears into the horizon.  What is special about these tales is the element of "wonder".  I may write at more length about this in a later blog.  For now the title "Along the path and far away" is sufficient: it evokes in me a great longing for I do not know what.

A similar sentiment is found in Lewis's "The horse and his boy" -
"But he was very interested in everything that lay to the North because no one ever went that way and he was never allowed to go there himself. When he was sitting out of doors mending the nets, and all alone, he would often look eagerly to the North. One could see nothing but a grassy slope running up to a level ridge and beyond that the sky with perhaps a few birds in it."

There is also the traditional song Over the hills and far away which leaves one wondering what exactly is over the hills and far away.

I get a similar feeling seeing or reading about water meeting grass as in an overflowing stream or a flash flood.
Phantastes, George Macdonald: "And, stranger still, where this carpet, which I had myself designed to imitate a field of grass and daisies, bordered the course of the little stream, the grass-blades and daisies seemed to wave in a tiny breeze that followed the water's flow; while under the rivulet they bent and swayed with every motion of the changeful current, as if they were about to dissolve with it, and, forsaking their fixedform, become fluent as the waters."

A far country implies a new paradigm that touches the depth of our soul: In a Far Country, Jack London "When a man journeys into a far country, he must be prepared to forget many of the things he has learned, and to acquire such customs as are inherent with existence in the new land; he must abandon the old ideals and the old gods, and oftentimes he must reverse the very codes by which his conduct has hitherto been shaped. To those who have the protean faculty of adaptability, the novelty of such change may even be a source of pleasure; but to those who happen to be hardened to the ruts in which they were created, the pressure of the altered environment is unbearable, and they chafe in body and in spirit under the new restrictions which they do not understand. This chafing is bound to act and react, producing divers evils and leading to various misfortunes. It were better for the man who cannot fit himself to the new groove to return to his own country; if he delay too long, he will surely die."  

Somewhere it says "A certain man planted a vineyard... and went into a far country for a long time."  The so called "Christian" belief system has of late been rather dumbed down, I suppose, to make it more palatable for the masses - rather like A-levels.  But in the original version there was a whole lot of "digging deep" and "far country" and "long time".  These hard-to-come-to-terms-with's are more in accord with my own experience than platitudes, sickly smiles and miracles that don't stand scrutiny.

2 comments:

  1. Good post. Great quote from Jack: I have experienced some of this myself and would beg to differ with him on just one point: I don't believe there are people who "have the protean faculty of adaptability" over some who don't - any more than that there are "morning people"! Sure some of us are born with inclinations more one way or the other but after a while a way of life is chosen - but people forget that it can be re-chosen. What keeps us from the far country is simply the stuff we are not willing to let go of. Not willing to change our tastes - you cannot enjoy new food unless you try it with an open mind - unlike my daughter Meghan who tries with tensed palette and for the moment cannot let go. I still remember almost gagging over celery and yet with understanding I can now eat it and enjoy a taste that is completely foreign to my mind's list of things I like.

    On the other side are the people who discover the addiction of letting go and never look back. This can be just as bad in its own way as those who never leave their home town...

    The only freedom is in balance.

    One of my favorite books: "the Place of the Lion". If you haven't read it I'll lend it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=858318124&searchurl=an%3Dsouthwold%26sortby%3D1

    It looks like it is pretty hard to get a hold of copies of your book...

    ReplyDelete